Upon taking a first look at a yoga wheel, it might be mistaken for just any other wheel, right? It's quite sad that with chronic back pain being an issue faced with most people all over the world, only a few know about the yoga wheel.
Like most equipment that can be used to do what it does(such as inversion tables), there are also just as many yoga wheels brands. Sadly, however, as many as they are, getting the best yoga wheel for back pain isn't easy which is where we come in.
Let’s find out all there is to know about choosing and using a yoga wheel for the best results.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 best yoga wheels for back pain – an expert’s review
- Benefits of yoga wheels.
- What’s the best size yoga wheel?
- How should I use a Yoga wheel?
Before we move on to the interesting part, perhaps it would be worth your while to have a look at the side by side comparison of the 5 best yoga wheels in 2020
ATIVAFIT Sports Yoga Wheel Yoga Roller
TPE and ABS inner core
Acumobility The Ultimate Back Roller, Yoga Wheel
EVA molded foam
REEHUT Yoga Wheel for Back Pain
High-quality EVA foam
URBNFit Yoga Wheel
Recyclable plastic & TPE foam padding
Top 5 best yoga wheels for back pain – an expert’s review
Upon testing dozens of yoga wheels, we were able to sample out these five either of which will be worth investing in.
Additionally, you’ll also enjoy an unmatched level of comfort since it won’t flex under your body weight; the ABS inner core is strong enough to support weight up to 220 lbs.
Whereas the large 12-inch wheel is perfect for an average-sized adult, the 10-inch will give you medium pressure massage. The smallest 5-inch wheel, on the other hand, gives you a deep focused tissue massage.
Last but not least, you're going to appreciate the sweat-resistance feature. Designed to be free of both sweat and dirt (thanks to the 6mm padding), you can use the wheel in every yoga session.
Unlike most of its counterparts, this bad boy comes with a therapeutic bump pattern which makes it one of the best yoga wheels in its class. Additionally, it measures 11.5 x 7.5 inches that makes it both portable and capable of supporting persons between 4-7 feet with a weight limit of up to 1000 pounds.
For the construction, it boasts a tough EVA molded foam. As for the height, it should be easy and comfortable enough for you to access hard to reach places such as the upper, middle, and lower back.
Since safety is of utmost importance, the wheel comes with a spine gap which is included to prevent the exertion of pressure to your spine.
First, it features a spinal comfort groove which makes it possibly the best yoga wheel for back pain to invest in. with this feature included, it reduces pressure on the spine which keeps you safe as you massage.
Something else that makes this the best yoga wheel is the high-quality EVA foam since it's going to be viable for use for a long time. Also, the width of the wheel and the material used in its design gives beginners stability and comfort whereas the progressive handholds are ideal for deeper stretches.
From its sweat resistant feature to the skin-safe and hypoallergenic nature, the REEHUT Yoga Wheel is worth investing in.
Starting with the construction, it comes with a TPE plastic inner. With this, impact resistance will always be at its best and as such, it is safe for use by anyone who weighs as much as 330lbs. in addition to being durable, the TPE inner foal will safely cushion your back, feet to give you a remarkable sense of comfort.
Due to the superior padding, there won’t be any moisture accumulation. This way, you can count on this bad boy to get you through the most intense yoga session. Additionally, something else you ought to look forward to is that its material is easy to clean.
Finishing up our reviews is the URBNFit yoga wheel. Unlike most, this one comes in a one of a kind half-wheel design that allows you to get an optimal stretch. In addition to this, the prop stationary design keeps the wheel from rolling and as such, the hard to hit poses are easier to achieve.
For the materials, it’s both eco-friendly and moisture resistant. Unlike most, this is quite amazing since it’s recyclable besides the fact that it's built to last a lifetime. The weight limit, on the other hand, is at a whopping 1000 pounds which qualifies it ideal for use by most people.
Last but not least, it is ideal for improving flexibility, circulation, core strength, and balance. What's more interesting, however, is that it's more compact than most yoga wheels which makes it easy to travel with.
Benefits of yoga wheels.
Now that you got a head start in buying a yoga wheel, it’s time you find out about the benefits that come with one. Here goes:
- Since one is only 5 inches wide, you can be able to massage hard to reach spots such as along the spine and between shoulder blades
- Using a yoga wheel makes it so that you move and engage your core optimally. This way, you'll conveniently ease back pains all on your own.
- Muscle stiffness is one of the main causes of an imbalanced posture. Since using a yoga wheel allows you to massage your back muscles, it should be easy enough to maintain an upright posture over time.
- Yoga wheels also help open up intercostal muscles in between rib bones that help in breathing. By using a yoga wheel, the move upwards and outwards hence giving the intercostal muscles a stretch.
What’s the best size yoga wheel?
The size of a yoga wheel is dependent on two factors – what you intend to get out of it and your physical size as well. There are traditionally three sizes.
First, there’s the standard one that’s got a diameter of 12 inches. This is suitable for the majority of body types and heights.
Second, we've got the mini wheels that are ideal for persons under 5 feet tall. Alternatively, they can also be used if you need a more targeted massage.
Last, we've got plus-sized wheels that are ideal if you need an extra-deep stretch.
How should I use a Yoga wheel?
Though you might be having the best yoga wheel for back pain, it won't be of any good to you if you have no idea of how to best use it. As such, we're obliged to guide you on how to use one and eventually ease both upper and lower back pain.
To ease both upper and lower back pain, I'd advise that you co with the chest-opening backbend pose. Here’s how you should go about it:
- First, sit on the floor and extend your legs in front of you ensuring your torso is straight.
- Next, with your toes pointed, rotate your hip internally then squeeze your inner thighs together. You can then place the wheel behind your back with your thumbs.
- You should also ensure the yoga wheel is parallel to your spine.
- Next, if you are comfortable enough, lift your hips to deepen the pose then start rolling back and forth.
- As you move back and forth, you should feel the wheel massaging your spine right between the shoulder blades.
- Go ahead and relax both your head and neck, lean them against the wheel in such a way that your arms are in a wide, stable and comfortable position.
- Hold in the above position, take at least three breaths before reversing the movement to a seated position on your mat.
To wrap up our reviews, I'd be right to say that getting the best yoga wheel for backpain is ow quite easy. With either of the above options, you get durability, safety, and performance all in one. As such, whether you want to get in a gentle massage or more advanced stretch, you couldn’t go wrong with the top 5 expert picks above.