No matter whether you are at your sixteen or sixty, an active lifestyle is second to none when it comes to staying fit and healthy. For seniors, it’s way more important to maintain a daily exercise routine if you want to stay healthier.
Regular exercise, along with improving balance and flexibility, can contribute to a great extent to prevent cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and fight several forms of cancer as well.
If you are one of those senior fitness enthusiasts planning to get started with your daily fitness routine, this post is exclusively for you.
In this particular post, we are going to share some most effective exercises for seniors to do at home with or without the help of a senior home care provider. Let’s get started in the following without delay!
Table of Contents
Wall Pushups Exercise:
To start with, you can simply try wall pushups, one of the popular exercises for older adults. This particular form of exercise works to strengthen the chest and shoulders. And, you can avail the health benefits without burning much of your calorie with this workout.
- Stand at an arm’s distance facing a wall
- Slightly lean forward and put your hands flat on the wall
- Make sure your body is in plank position and your spine is straight
- Now, bring your body slowly toward the wall and gently push back to the previous position
- Repeat 10 to 15 times and there you go!
Toe Lifts Exercise:
It’s another easy yet effective strength training workout for adults. Toe lifts help to improve balance and take care of the muscles too. To perform this particular exercise, you will need a support, a counter or chair will do fine, we guess.
- Stand straight placing your arms in front resting on the counter or chair
- Now, raise yourself up balancing on the toes
- Reach as high as you can manage to go and then slowly get back to the previous position
- Repeat 15 to 20 times and there you go!
Lower Body Stretch Exercise:
It’s one of the most useful stretches for the lower portion of your body. Lower body stretch helps to tone the calf muscles and hamstring as well. Like the earlier one, you will need a support to perform this particular exercise, a counter or chair will do fine, we guess.
- Stand behind the chair or counter, grab it for support with your left hand, and stretch your quadriceps
- Now, bend your right leg behind and grab the foot with your right hand
- Make sure your thigh is in the perpendicular position and close to the floor as much as possible
- Stay in the position for about 30 to 40 seconds
- Now, release the foot and follow the same steps for the other side
- Repeat the entire process 10 to 15 times and there you go!
Upper Body Stretch Exercise:
Like lower body stretch, upper body stretch is also very important to increase flexibility. It’s kind of easy to do exercise and can provide you with the maximum benefit of your daily workouts.
- Stand flat with your arms at the sides keeping your feet shoulder-width apart
- Take the arms to your back and then grasp the hands
- Now, pull your shoulders back and hold in the position for about 30 to 40 seconds
- Repeat the process 5 to 10 times and there you go!
Upper Back Stretch Exercise:
It’s a great stretch for both the young and the adults. This particular stretch works like magic to relieve tension in the upper back and the shoulders.
- Position your feet flat on the floor while sitting on a chair
- Raise your arms up to the shoulder height placing your palms outward and back pressed together
- Now, relax your shoulders and reach your fingertips out until you feel a stretch.
- Hold in that position for 10 to 20 seconds and get back to the previous position.
- Repeat 5 to 10 times and there you go!
While we are going to conclude this post for today, we expect that you read between the lines and came to know of some most effective daily workout forms for seniors. Now, it’s your turn to get started with these exercises and stick to your daily goals. Hope you found the post helpful and enjoyed reading!